Sunday, March 21, 2010

What's inside

I'm a colossal failure at hard-boiled eggs. While I'm no gourmet chef, I'm certainly not worthy of being on "Worst Cooks in America," so admitting I'm so terrible at something seemingly so simple is not easy.

We had a potluck at church today. I hadn't been to the grocery store all week, so I was trying to pick something to make from ingredients I already had in the house. I came across a deviled egg recipe that sounded good, so I boiled my eggs. Knowing I have trouble with this task, I consulted a cookbook and followed the instructions for boiling eggs to a "T." After they cooled and I began the peeling process, I discovered the usual soft, runny white underneath the shell surrounding a cooked yoke. As I threw egg white after egg white into the trash, I became frustrated at the realization that deviled eggs was not going to be on the menu at church.

Later, I prepared another dish as my plan B, but the hard-boiled egg failures still irk me. I wish there was a way to tell before I start peeling them whether they're cooked well or not. It's an act of faith, in a way, not unlike our own spiritual development.

Do you ever wonder what you look like on the inside to God? Are we soft, runny and underdone, not worth much toward our intended purpose? Are we overdone, hard and tainted, still good for that which we're meant but not too appealing to look at? Or are we perfectly prepared for what God has in mind? God only knows.

Nobody likes to go through unpleasant circumstances, but like the eggs have to be boiled to be of use when I intend to serve them as deviled eggs, God uses the tough times, the "hot water" of life to prepare us for what's ahead. If we seek to get out of it too soon, we become useless. If we're in too long, sometimes we can become bitter.

James says this: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (verses 2-4)

Are you facing trials of many kinds? Know that God sees the growth happening inside and will bring you to maturity because of it.

And if anyone knows how to make a perfect hard-boiled egg, I'm all ears.

4 comments:

  1. Find Martha Stewart's recipe for 18 minute eggs. I make them a lot and they come out perfectly every time! Silas loves egg yolk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah--those recipes that tell you to turn the burner off are a crock.

    i bring the water to a boil,
    put the eggs in,
    set the timer for 15 minutes,
    bring it back to a boil, and
    then turn the heat down until it just goes blub blub blub--like a REALLY lazy simmer.

    it always works!

    love,
    val

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! I'll have to try your suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I googled Martha's recipe a minute ago. Apparently I don't follow her recipe. I don't know why I thought I did. Hers only cook for like 11 minutes! Hmm. Now I'm going to have to try that and see if it works...

    ReplyDelete